DURATION: 2015 to date
Human environment interaction during the consolidation of agriculture in the arid margins of the Negev
The ‘Nahal Efe project’ is a Spanish-Israeli joint action aimed at studying the alternative cultural developments taking place in the Negev and Sinai deserts (small-scale mobile foraging groups exploiting both the highlands and lowlands, probably on a seasonal basis) during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (ca. 9500-7000 cal. BC) that differed from the mainstream processes of Neolithisation observed in the core regions of the southern Levant. In this sense, the project is also aimed at contributing to appreciate the heterogeneity of the Neolithisation processes in the southern Levant and, by extension, the western wing of the Fertile Crescent.
In addition, the specific objectives are: 1) reconstructing the settlement history of the Negev during the Neolithic, 2) elucidating the various aspects of the ways of life of the communities that settled the Negev during the PPNB, and 3) examining the human-environment interaction in arid regions of the southern Levant, and the regional impact, if any, of major early Holocene environmental fluctuations in population dynamics, settlement patterns and subsistence economies during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic in the region.
- Fundación PALARQ
- Irene Levi-Sala CARE Foundation
- Centre de recherche français à Jérusalem (CRFJ-CNRS)
- Borrell, F., Boaretto, E., Caracuta, V., Cohen-Sasson, E., Lavi, R., Lupu, R., Teira, L. & Vardi, J. 2016. “Nahal Efe: a multi-period prehistoric site in the north-eastern Negev”. Antiquity 90/352. Project Gallery.
- Borrell, F., Vardi, J. 2016. Nahal Efe and the Neolithic ‘conquest’ of the Negev. Pilot season 2015. Bulletin du centre de recherche français à Jérusalem 26
- Borrell, F., Boaretto, E., Caracuta, V., Cohen-Sasson, E., Lavi, R., Lupu, R., Teira, L. & Vardi, J. 2015. “Nahal Efe: A Middle Pre-Pottery Neolithic B site in the north-eastern Negev. Preliminary results of the 2015 pilot season”. Neo-lithics 2/15: 33-41.