Flint quarrying activities in NE Iberia
The Serra Llarga prehistoric quarries.
As a result of the fieldwork carried out within the framework of the LITOcat project, a survey focused on the places where procurement and first transformation of flint took place in NE Iberia was developed during 2014-2017. The importance of the prehistoric mining complex attested along the hills of Serra Llarga (Castelló de Farfanya, NE Iberia) motivated the launch of a specific project devoted to this mining evidence as well as their quarrying activities focused on the supply of flint nodules for the knapping of stone tools.
The objectives of this project are:
- To carry out an intensive prospecting along the hills of Serra Llarga in order to delimit the extent of this mining complex and approach the scope of its exploitation and its impact on the transformation of the local environment.
- To excavate the sedimentary fillings related with these quarries to reconstruct the strategies put into practice for their exploitation, the management practiced with the waste and stipulate their chronology.
- To determine the extent of the geographic distribution of the raw material here procured throughout prehistoric times.
- Generalitat de Catalunya – Departament de Cultura
- Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (Institución Milá y Fontanals, Barcelona)
- Fundación PALARQ – Paleontología y Arqueología
- Ortega D., Roqué D., Ibáñez J., Beamud E., Larrasoaña J.C., Sáez A. & Terradas X. 2018. The chert from the Castelltallat formation (south-central Pyrenees): archaeometric characterization for archaeological research. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences 10: 1329–1346 [DOI: 10.1007/s12520-016-0458-1]
- Terradas X. & Ortega D. 2017. Flint quarrying in north-eastern Iberia: quarry sites and the initial transformation of raw material. Antiquity 91 359, e5: 1–6 [DOI: 10.15184/aqy.2017.167]
- Terradas X., Ortega D., Marín D., Masclans A. & Roqué C. 2017. Neolithic Flint quarries on Montvell (Catalan pre-Pyrenees, NE Iberia). In T. Pereira et al. (eds.), The Exploitation of Raw Materials in Prehistory: Sourcing, Processing and Distribution, 77-89. Cambridge Scholars Publishing [ISBN: 1-4438-9597-0]
- Terradas X., Marín D., Masclans A., Ortega, D. & Roqué C. 2020. L’explotació prehistòrica del sílex a la Serra Llarga: les pedreres de Montvell (Castelló de Farfanya, Noguera). Tribuna d’Arqueologia 2018-2019